دکتر رقیه باقرزاده اکبری
دکتر رقیه باقرزاده اکبری
ROGHIEH BAGHERZADEH AKBARI
PROFILE: Health Physicist, Radiation Protection and Medical Physicist
EMPLOYMENT: Tehran University Nuclear Centre (TUNC~), Working in Radiation Protection Division.1958-1973. Tehran University, Science Faculty, Physics Department, working in Radiation Protection Division as a Medical physicist,1973-1996.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCES
1973-1978 Ph.D. in Physics Applied to Medicine, London University (Cancer Research Institute) Royal Marsden Hospital, London-Surrey.
1963-1964 Health Physics Diploma, Strathclyde University, Glasgow- Scotland (also an equivalent PhD, from Dr. S.C. Curran, the chancellor of the University).
1961-1963 Msc. in Physics, Tehran University
1954-1957 Bsc. in Physics,Tehran University.
1951-1954 High School Diploma, Tehran, in Natural Science.
1933-1939 Primary .School Diploma, Tabriz-Iran
1988-1989 One year work on "Quality Assurance and Radiation Protection" Program, in the Medical Physics Department of the Postgraduate Medical, School, Hammersmith Hospital, London.
1983 Attended one week IAEA Seminar, a Training on planning Secondary Standard Dosimetry (SSDL), Salzburg. Austria.
1975 Attended two weeks computer (Fortran 4) course at the Imperial College, London.
1971 Attended as an observer in the WHO-IAEA Inter- Regional Symposium on a training course for Radiological Technicians, at Cancer Research Centre, Tehran.
1970 Attended a two weeks IAEA course on Legal Aspects of Atomic Energy, Athens, Greece.
1969 Two weeks IAEA Inter- Regional Training course on planning for Handling of Radiation Accidents, Tehran, at TUNC.
Sept. 1967 Attended the Regional Conference in Hilton Hotel, Tehran, Iran, when the proposal at the Radiation Protection Session for the setting up of The Secondary Standard Dosimetry Centre in the region was suggested By me, and published in WHO report No., 17, session SCA. EM/RC 1747174/ Prg. Min 1/27.
1960-1963 English language 4 years (extensive) course, Iran-American Society, Tehran.
Nov. 1961 Attended and completed the CRINS course on June 1963 Radioisotopes, Tehran University.
CO-OPERATION WITH INTERNATIONAL EXPERTS
Scince1964 some IAEA and WHO experts in radiation protection were working in Iran and I have been in very close cooperation with all of these people, named below:
- 1964-1965 Dr. P.F. Beaver, IAEA adviser, for the general health physics activities.
- 1965-1966 Mr. W. H. Fry, IAEA adviser, for the Hospital Physicist activities.
- 1966-1968 Dr. W. W. Ogg, IAEA adviser, (a) One year (1966-1967), (b) two months in 1968, for radiation protection problems at the reactor site. Report No.Wp/S/375,16 Mat 1968.
- 1968 Dr. Kristian Korren, WHO consultant, who had been invited by the Ministry of health of Iran, for preparation of the regulations and legislation for radiation protection in Iran. We together prepared 5 codes of practice for all groups of radiation users in Iran.
Societies and Associations (since 1963)
1- Hospital Physicist Association, UK, ordinary member.
2- Iranian Health Society, Iran, active member.
3- Iranian Radiation Protection Society, Iran, executive member.
4- Iranian Nuclear Medicine Society, active member.
5- Iranian Physics Society, ordinary member.
6- Iranian Association of Medical Physics.
Associate professor concerned in the physics teaching core of the Physics Department of Tehran University. Concerned with the protection and control of all laboratories at Tehran University Nuclear Centre.
Radiation Protection Adviser for all Establishments and Institutions
Radiation Protection Lecturer at the following courses:-
Faculty of Science for graduate and postgraduate (BSc and MSc)
Radioisotopes Applications, for Physicians, Engineers, Scientists and other radiation users.
Civil Defense 1969-1972.
Short course for emergency groups,1969-1972.
Iranian Oil Company Refinery technicians in radiography (1965- 1968.
Short course for Radiological Technicians (1970-1972).
Research in the fields of dosimetry and the physics as applied in Science and Medicine (1964-1996).
PhD in Physics as applied to Medicine, London University. The subject of research was all about the protection of patients and staff from radio- nuclides used in Nuclear Medicine.
As Professor concerned in the physics teaching core of the physics Department of Tehran University, teaching and research:
Health physics for BSc and MSc students, of Tehran University.
Medical Physics (MSc for physicist and Medical students).
Physics for nurse faculties.
Medical application of radionucliedes
Industrial application of radiation
Quality Assurance and Radiation Protection Program, in the Medical Physics Department of the Tehran University.
Planning Radiation Protection norms at the Iranian Standard Research Centre.
250 hours work on planning on teaching programs of medical physics for Medical Physics, Medical Engineers, and Medical Radiation for higher degree courses.
Title of Research Projects Supervised in Medical Physics
- Determination of the Quality of X-ray (half thickness and x- ray energy).
- Studies of the Characteristics of Tc-99 from (Tc-99m- Mo-99) generator.
- Characteristics of LiF- teflon Dose meters
- Accessories in Nuclear Medicine
- High Energy Units and Tele-Therapy
- Physics of Nuclear Magnetic Resonance (NMR)
- Measurement of Absorbed Dose
- Technique and Operation of Gas – Chromatography
- Biological Effects of Radiations
- Radio-Chromatography (technique and operation)
- Applications of Radioisotopes in Medicine
- Scintillation Detectors and Effective Factors
- Comparison of Film Badge with TlD-LiF Dose meter
- Study on the case of Chernobyl Accident
- Photo-meter Microscope and MPV System
- Semi-Conductors and Their Applications in Dosimetry
- Electronic Gun
- Semi-Conductor Detectors for Radiation Measurement
- Measurement of quantity of Radioactivity in-vivo by Counting in whole body
- Phantom in Nuclear Medicine
- Atomic Particles Detectors
- X-ray Dosimetry by using TLD Technique
- Control of Exposure to Patients in Nuclear Medicine
- X-ray in Therapy
- Laser in Ophthalmology
- Chromatography (HPLC) for Pharmacology
- Mass spectrometer and beta- particles
- Electron Microscopes
- Basic and Theory of NMR and one dimension experiments in liquids
- Application of Laser in Dentistry
- Physics of Nuclear Magnetic Imaging (NMI)
- Use of Computer in Dynamic Research of Nuclear Radiations
- Applications of Lasers in Surgery
- Accelerators and High Energy Particles
- X-rays and its applications in Medicine
- Film and Radiography
- Design and make of body Phantom, for the measurement of Radiation Dose in Diagnostic and Treatment in Nuclear Medicine
- Measurement of Dashte Moghan Contamination, caused by Chernobyl Accident in 1986
- Study on the work of the X-ray units in Radiology, and Radiotherapy Departments in the Central province of Iran.
Translated Books Related to Medical Physics (into Farsi)
1- Introduction to Health Physics, written by Herman Cember, 1969, also used for lecture notes for M Sc., Degree courses.
2- An Introduction to Medical Physics, written by Edwin G A Aird, 1975.
3- Basic Science in Nuclear Medicine, written by R P Parker, P H Smith and D H Taylor, 1978.
List of Publications Related to Medical Physics
- Akbari R B (1962) A study of C-14 counting methods. CENTO pub. No.7/62 and TUNC scientific publication No.31, Tehran (in English and Farsi). This is the work for the Master Degree in Physics, and issued as TUNC publication No 37.
- Akbari R.B (1962).A review of the film badge service operation with particular reference to the CENTO Institute of Nuclear Science, Film Badge Service, CINS publication No.8/62 at Tehran.
- Akbari R B (1964). A thermal neutron biological dosimetry, by measurement of Na-24 produced in blood serum and Urine by irradiation by thermal neutrons. This is a part of the work for the Diploma in Health Physics at the Strathclyde University, Glasgow, 1964, issued as TUNC publication No.38&39, (in English and Farsi).
- Akbari R B (1964) Tritum (H-3) and Carbon-14 measurements in biological samples.
- Akbari R B (1964) Activation analysis of Trace elements in blood and urine samples, ( in English and Farsi)
- Akbari R B (1970). Initial calibration of Neutron Film Badges at TUNC, published under No.40 of TUNC Scientific pub. (In English and Farsi).
- Akbari R B (1976) Radioactive Impurities in Eluates of M-99- Tc99m generators. Published in Radioaktive Isotopes in Klinik and Forschung, 12 band 675.
- Trott N G and Akbari R B (1977) Studies of radionuclide purity, Radiation dosimetry and radiation protection studies for certain short-lived radionuclides. ( 4th International Conference on Medical Physics, Canada,22,119).
- Trott N G, Akbari R B, Adam G and Pearson N (1978) Some radiation protection studies in Nuclear Medicine.(2nd Congress on Nuclear Medicine (ENMS) with 6th meeting of British Nuclear Medicine Society (BNMS).
- Akbari R B (1980) Application of TLD – LiF in radioisotope dosimetry for internal emitters. 4th Congress of European Nuclear Medicine Society (ENMS), Barcelona, (6th Conference of Spanish Nuclear Medicine Society (SNMS), Spain).
- Akbari R B (1980) Investigations of radiation dose to the hands of staff manipulating radiopharmaceuticals. (4th Congress of EMNS, Barcelona, Spain).
- Akbari R B Trott N G (1980) Impurities from generators (4th Congress of ENMS, Barcelona, Spain), (Poster).
- Akbari R B (1981) Radionuclidic impurities in three radiopharmaceuticals (Tc-99, Fe-52, and I-123) used in Nuclear Medicine. Radiation Protection Symposium, 3- 5 June, Tehran.
- Akbari R B (1981) Investigations of Radiation dose to the hands of staff manipulating radiopharmaceuticals, after using shielded syringes. Radiation Protection Symposium,3-5 June, Tehran, Iran.
- Akbari R B (1982) Measurement of dose to the patients from the administration of radiopharmaceuticals. World Congress on Medical Physics and Biomedical Engineering, Hamburg, September 5-12.
- Akbari R B (1982) External dosimetry for internal emitters in Nuclear Medicine. Third World Congress in Paris, 29 August–2 September 5-12.
- Akbari R B and Trott N G (1983) Factors affecting the dose determination of staff handling radiopharmaceuticals. 7th International Symposium on Nuclear Medicine, Czechoslovakia in Karlovy Wary, May 17-20.
- Trott N G and Akbari R B (1984) Blood cell labeling – Theory and method Radiation Hazards, Wiener Kilinisch Wochenschrift, 96, Jahrgang heft, 3, 92- 95.
- Akbari R B (1984) Internal Scientific Report, at the Cancer Research Institute, Royal Marsden Hospital, Sutton, Surrey. UK.
- Akbari R B, Ott R J and Trott N G (1984) Performance Specifications of GMX series X-Y MPGE Coaxial photon detector system. Internal scientific report, at the CRI and RMH, Sutton, Surrey. UK.
- Akbari R B (1985) Measurement of patient dose from injected Radiopharmaceuticals. European Nuclear Medicine Congress London, UK. September 3-6, (Poster).
- Akbari R B (1985) Neutron Badge dosimetry and its personnel Monitoring Application. 13th International Conference on Solid State Nuclear Track Detectors, Rome, 23-27 September, ENMA, (Abstract).
- Akbari R B, Ott R J and Trott N G; Sharma H L and Smith A G (1986) Radionuclidic purity and Radiation Dosimetry of I – 124 used in Positron Tomography of the thyroid. Phys. Med. Biol., Vol. 31, No.7, 789-791. Also see, Review paper "International Journal of oncology 22: 253-267, 2003.
- Akbari R B (1986) Radionuclide Purity and Radiation Dosimetry of CO-55 used in Positron Tomography of the Lung. Nuclear science and Technology Conference in Boushehr. Iran. Proceedings, P 62-70.
(This work carried out at the Department of Medical Biophysics, Manchester University, axford Road, Manchester).
- Akbari R B (1988) Studies on the physical characteristics of the TLD-LiF Dose - meters.14th Inter. Conference on solid state nuclear Track Detectors. Lahore, Pakistan, April 2-6.
- Akbari R B (1988) Studies on the properties of the TLD- LiF Teflon Dose meters. International Conference on nuclear Data for Science and Technology. May 30- June 3, in Japan.
- Akbari R B (1990) Studies on the Natural Radiation Levels Around the Caspian Sea Area. ICHLNR-MS- 11O - p6-10, In Ramsar, Iran.
- Akbari R B (1991) Physics of Nuclear Magnetic Resonance (NMR) and Imaging (MRI). The first Congress of Iranian Association of Medical Physics (IAMP), Tabriz, Iran. No.35,(in Fasi and English).
- Akbari R B (1991) Purity and Dosimetry of Co-55, used in Lung Tomography. The first Congress of IAMP,Tabriz, Iran.18-21 March, pub No.58 (English and Farsi)
- Akbari R B (1991) Purity and Dosimetry of I-124 in Thyroid Positron Tomography. The first Congress of IAMP held in Tabriz, Iran 18-21 March pub No.59 (in English and Farsi)
- Akbari R B (1992) Physical Measurement of Cupper - 64 in patient s body in case of Wilson disease. Conference of Iranian Physics Society, Al-Zahra University of. Tehran, Iran, August 31- 3 September.(Poster)
- Akbari R B (1992) The Physical Properties of the LiF- TLD Teflon (Tl) Dose meters (II).16th International Conference on Nuclear Track in Solids. Beijing, China, September 7-11.
- Akbari R B (1993) The Physical specifications of LiF- Teflon Dose - meters (III). International Conference of Iranian Physics Society, Razi University of Kermanshah, Iran, August30 - 2 September.
- Akbari R.B. (2011) A brief history of medical Physics in Iran. First Conference of Middle East Federation of Medical Physics (MEFOMP), Shiraz–Iran.
- Akbari R.B. (2012) Studies on Purity and Dosimetry of Fe-52 used in Nuclear Medicine. Accepted as Oral presentation in the World Congress of Medical Physics in Beijing China.
- Akbari R. B. (2012) Purity and Dosimetry of Fe-52 used in Nuclear Medicine. Congress of Medical Physics, Shiraz, Iran
- Akbari R. B. (2013) Physical Measurement of Copper (Cu-64) in Body Suffering from Wilson Disease. 5th international and 17th Iranian Congress of Nuclear Medicine, Shiraz, Iran, May 1-3 (Poster).
- Akbari R.B. (2014) Purity and Dosimetry of Fe -52 used in Nuclear Medicine. 11th Iranian Conference of Medical Physics. Abstract No. 259, 6 and 7 of December, in Tehram. (In Farsi).
- Akbari R.B. (2014) Physical measurement of Cu-64 used in Wilson Disease. 11th Iranian Conference of Medical Physics. Abstract No. 261, 6 and 7th of December, in Tehran. ( in Farsi).
- Akbari R.B.(2017) A brief history of Medical Physics in Iran, 9th International Conference" Health and Ecology" held in Mtskheta, Georgia on 10- 11 June 2017.
- The above article was also published in
the journal of the Clinical Oncology N 5/6, 2017/ 2018 .And distributed among the participants of the symposium of the Clinical Oncology on 21 September, 2018.